Useful Resources

Labyrinth

Homewood Health Centre's Program for Traumatic Stress Recovery

http://www.homewood.org/healthcentre/main.php?tID=1&lID=4

Program for Traumatic Stress Recovery

Childhood abuse. Workplace accidents. Military Trauma. Violence and crime. Sudden loss or destruction. Healing from such traumatic events requires courage, strength, and perseverance. Survivors of trauma must learn to cope with painful memories, a sense of isolation, and feelings of shame, guilt, and fear. Many also experience symptoms of depression or anxiety and may suffer from addiction.

Homewood Health Centre's Program for Traumatic Stress Recovery (PTSR) is the only in-patient program of its kind in Canada. This program helps people recover from the after-effects of trauma.

Tamara's House for survivors of Sexual Abuse

http://www.tamarashouse.sk.ca/

Healing from child sexual abuse is a long process - but it doesn't have to be a lonely one.

Tamara's House is a safe place that is here to support you while you are healing. Staff, volunteers and other survivors will offer support as you make lasting changes in your life. Many of the volunteers are survivors themselves.

Most importantly, Tamara's House has people who will listen.

TAMARA'S HOUSE CAN OFFER YOU:

Information and resources on abuse, healing and related issues

Creative opportunities for healing and growth (painting, clay, collage, etc.)

Body work and massage therapy

Workshops for you and your families

Supportive materials from other survivors

Aboriginal healing circles

Training and educational programs

Space for self-help and support groups

Monthly gatherings and celebrations

This center offers various services, including a residential program.

SAFE in Canada

http://www.safeincanada.ca/

S.A.F.E. in Canada exists to reduce the burden of suffering caused by self-injury. It does so directly by working with those who self-injure, and indirectly by helping their families, their friends and the professionals who care for them.

Although we can offer information, hope and support, please do not depend on this website instead of seeking professional care.

Mercy Ministries in Canada

http://www.mercycanada.com

Mercy Ministries Canada is a residential program for young women with life controlling issues. These issues range from eating disorders, self-harm, suicidal tendencies, anxiety, depression, sexual and physical abuse, and drug and alcohol addictions.

The program is very structured and is based on Christian principles.

New Life Girls Home

http://www.newlifegirlshome.com/

New Life Girls’ Home offers a residential program for young women aged 18-30 years old, who have life controlling problems such as drug/alcohol addiction, sexual dysfunction, eating disorders, self-abuse and other compulsive behaviours.

Focusing on loving, Christ-centred nurturing, students in the program are offered intensive Christian education, one-on-one Biblical discipleship, life-skills training, and ministry opportunities.

Alias Chase

www.sheenasplace.org Sheena's Place

For all you folks in Toronto suffering from eating disorders. I've copied this from the website:

Sheena's Place is a registered charity offering hope and support services at no cost to people affected by eating disorders and their families. Direct services are provided in a warm, comfortable and safe environment in an old house in downtown Toronto.

Vision and Mission

Vision:

A safe community in which hope and support are offered in a non-judgemental way to people affected by eating disorders.

Sheena's Place provides hope and support so that people affected by eating disorders will make informed and longer lasting life choices in relation to their health. Hope and support are essential for living life with dignity and for recovery.

Mission:

Sheena's Place works with professionals and those personally affected by eating disorders to:

provide support

prevent eating disorders

raise awareness

foster education

We share the following values and principles:

acceptance

respect

accessibility

confidentiality

responsiveness

personal ownership

• 2 months later...

I've added Homewood Health Center, which offers a special inpatient program for trauma survivors- I found it in a random search.

-Nicole

• 1 month later...

try the assaulted women helpline they do have a web site and province wide helpline

• 1 month later...

some reading you can do on the legal system:

WOMEN AND VIOLENCE BY: KATHLEEN GALLIVAN AND SUSAN BAZILLI; METRO ACTION COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND CHILDREN (METRAC) 158 Spadina Rd., Toronto, Ontario M5R 2T8 CANADA CONTENTS:

"This guide provides information about each step of the criminal process, from the option of reporting a sexual assault to the police, through sentencing, to appeals of a trial verdict. This guide does not pretend to advise women about whether they should report sexual assault or enter the system. What if does hope to do is provide some idea of the hazards and hurdles that will be experienced at each and every step . . ."

Davies, Graham; Lloyd-Bostock, Sally; McMurran, Mary; Wilson, Clare; Oxford, England: Walter De Gruyter, (1995). The criminal justice response to sexual assault in Canada. Roberts, Julian V. In: Psychology, law, and criminal justice: International developments in research and practice. pp. 384-393. [Original Chapter] link

• 1 year later...

Thanks for sharing all the great resources everyone. We really appreciate them.

Kefrin :yay:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Healing_Canadian

Thanks for posting these resources. I ended up using the sexual assault phone number located in the front of my phone book for my area. I ended up with free couselling for approximately two years or more. I just finished and can go back when I want for some follow up or support.

It was really hard to reach out at first because then someone else knew. It really does get easier. Especially once you've released that anger, bitterness and resentment.

thanks again

• 5 years later...
itsjustme

I came across this site the other day http://littlewarriors.ca/

They educate groups about sexual violence and their goal is to open a treatment facility for young children who have experienced abuse. The focus is to address mental health issues resulting from abuse. It also includes a listing of resources by region throughout Canada.

Archived