Sexual Assault Question

Guest Anna

I was assault when I was a freshman in Highschool. I was assaulted online through a video chat by an older man. I haven't told anyone besides 3 friends. I still blame myself and cannot move on and need help, however I am scared to open up and tell anyone. I am scared that my family be ashamed and be embarrased of me. I've been debating on telling my counselor however I don't know what I should do. I need some advice. -Anna

Anna - I'm sorry for what you have been through, it is not your fault. You are not to blame for what was done to you.

Feeling like you can't move on from it is a normal response to what you have been through. Being afraid of how people might react is also normal. Disclosing is scary and having an idea of who you want to rely on for support is good as you move forward.

You deserve to be supported and listened to and there are supports out there that can help. Reaching out to your counselor is a good idea. They may be able to help you find a therapist who specializes in sexual assault and trauma and its effects. There are also helplines you can call if you feel the need to speak to someone immediately and to be able to ask questions in an anonymous way.

You are welcomed to join Pandy's and receive further support through the forums opened to members.

You are not alone as you go through this :metoyou:

Edited by LionHearted
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 7:42 PM, Guest Anna said:

I was assault when I was a freshman in Highschool. I was assaulted online through a video chat by an older man. I haven't told anyone besides 3 friends. I still blame myself and cannot move on and need help, however I am scared to open up and tell anyone. I am scared that my family be ashamed and be embarrased of me. I've been debating on telling my counselor however I don't know what I should do. I need some advice. -Anna

Hi Anna,

I get that you want help in moving on from what happened in your online chat, and your feelings about it.

And I get that you that you blame yourself and are scared  and fearful that your family, or others,  might judge you with shame and embarrassment if you open up about what happened.

Anna you are not alone in having those kinds of feelings.   A lot of us here feel responsible, or that  we have contributed in various ways, to bad things that have happened.  And it can be hard to trust someone enough open up about something where we fear being judged.

I hope that you are able to have a trusting relationship with your counselor in which you can take the risk of disclosing things even though you may fear judgement.   Talking about such things with your counselor is confidential... there should be no fear of any repercussions with your family or anyone else.   And your counselor is there for you... not to to judge you, not at all, but to help you get past whatever it was that happened.

And as Lionhearted has said, you are welcome to join us here on Pandy... it is a very supportive place!