Sexual Assault Support and Help for Americans Abroad

Kate

The Sexual Assault Support & Help for Americans Abroad Program, SASHAA, has launched a resource to assist American citizens and legal permanent residents assaulted in a foreign country while studying, working or traveling overseas.

SASHAA case managers provide an informed, compassionate response, as well as advocacy and assistance navigating medical, law enforcement and legal options. This support is continued long term, including counseling and other services.

The program can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from overseas by calling an international toll free hotline, 866-USWOMEN, via the AT&T Direct Access code for each country. Instructions can be found on the SASHAA website, www.sashaa.org.

Other forms of communication include a live chat feature on the SASHAA website, and a crisis email: crisis@866uswomen.org. Our services are free and confidential, and we serve people of all genders and sexualities.

If the caller is more comfortable communicating in a foreign language we don’t speak, SASHAA advocates and case managers have access to a language bank.

SASHAA also operates an email aimed at prevention: Knowb4ugo@866uswomen.org. Prior to departing overseas, travelers can email the knowb4ugo email and get information about the country they are traveling to including how to reach SASHAA from overseas.

I think that is really great - that even when one is abroad it is possible to call the support line. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for this, it is very comforting to see this resource. I wish that it had existed when I was assaulted because I have felt extremely isolated by what happened to me. It has been a very heavy burden at times, and has been a very unfortunate representation of this country. The assault and subsequent lack of support made it difficult for me to have trust that it is a safe place for me to be, which has really interfered with my healing.

Do you know if it is ok to discuss historic abuse and if it is a completely confidential service? It is too late to report what happened, but I may want to talk about it with someone who can offer this kind of support and possibly point me in the direction of some local resources.

Hi Hellothere,

I think it's best to contact them for answers to your questions. If you're nervous about speaking with someone you can check their website for information. I hope they have what you need. :)

Well, I called and wanted to report back that a) it's ok to discuss historic abuse and b)local resources are available if wanted (where I am)or I could have spoken to a trauma informed therapist over the phone.

I was very impressed. The person that I spoke to was kind and seemed to have good training and understanding of the issues that victims in foreign countries are up against. Very reassuring that the US is looking after it's own in this way - thank you for highlighting it Kate.

Archived