Sorry...

mcp

I understand that survivors need to be protected, but how can we reach out to each other when every website I find has a minimum posts rule? Does this bother anyone else??

Sorry guys but the 5 post minimum was driving me crazy so I just posted all at ones..all of my questions/concerns are legit so if anyone has suggestions for any of them i'de love to hear them...thanks!

Hmmm. I didn't know that. This is the only survivor site I've ever belonged to. What types of minimum post rules do these sites have?

Hi!

I don't really know these other sites and as a partner, not a survivor, I'm not part of the chat anyhow, but being a forum moderator on another site, I can understand how the rule can help slow down spur of the moment, potentially mean, attacks on the people in chat. So I think the rule has a buffer sort of effect.

Some people post about practically anything. It doesn't seem to have to be personal. Some just post that they might post more later. There are also some interesting peripheral areas that I have only slightly explored, like one about favorite books where I posted about Barbara Pym. I'm not a survivor myself, but I would think it would be pretty non-threatening to make a post or two in an area like that.

So sorry for your experiences. My wife went through so much, too. I hope you find some of what is helpful here.

BruceC

Hi MCP and welcome to Pandys :hug:

The minimum post rule here before you can chat is only 5 - which really isnt many at all. You dont have to post about anything too personal if you dont want to, but it does help to keep the community safe.....which is good for all of us :)

Take care and hope to get to know you better :)

Katy x

I understand that survivors need to be protected, but how can we reach out to each other when every website I find has a minimum posts rule? Does this bother anyone else??

I totally understand your frustration and get where you're coming from.

You've made your five posts, so this is kind of moot for you, but it might help others to have an explanation of this policy.

First, we hope that the five posts policy is not viewed as a block to reaching out. On the contrary, the message board itself is available from the moment your registration is approved and you are encouraged and welcomed to introduce yourself, ask for support, and reach out by posting on the board (if you are unsure how to do so, please check out the Posting Tutorial). Additionally, the Resources forum offers thousands of ways to reach out to get real-life, professional support.

Second, chat varies from the board in a couple of significant ways. The chat room is a real-time environment, where conversation occurs (and changes direction) quickly. If a person registers on the board solely to make trouble or hurt others, consequences are typically much harder to handle in chat than on the the board. Most chatters will tell you that, for example, a person in crisis affects others more emotionally in chat than in posts on the board.

Additionally, because close friendships are made in chat and very sensitive discussions take place, members appreciate the ability to check out newcomer's profile and posts to get to know them a little bit before opening up so much.

Third and finally, requiring five posts before a new member can access chat gives that member time to familiarize him or herself with the chat rules. Some members are shocked that there even are chat rules ;) Hopefully newbies take the time between registration and making five posts to read the chat forum so they understand how our chat room works.

I hope that all makes sense. This policy isn't to prevent people from reaching out, but rather to protect the safety of members, which is a primary concern for us. Since we implemented the five-posts policy, we've found that chat has run much more smoothly and has been more emotionally safe, therefore making it a more healing and enjoyable environment for everyone. Before reaching five posts, we hope that members learn more about the message board, which is the bedrock of our community.

Take care, and welcome to Pandy's!

Shannon

Welcome to the board mcp :)

I just wanted to add, that the boards are really the heart of pandys. I use chat frequently, but I didn't start using chat until I had 150 or so posts. That time period really allowed me to understand this lovely community and build relationship within it. It's also important to note that everyone who has joined pandys since I joined, at the least, has had to have 5 posts before using chat. So it's not that anyone is being singled out by it.

-Nicole

Archived